Indonesia is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia. An archipelago comprising thousands of islands, Indonesia has an estimated population of over 255 million people and is the world’s fourth-most-populous country in the world. Indonesia has the largest economy in Southeast Asia and one of the emerging market economies of the world, with a high population of working age. The country is also a member of G-20 major economies and classified as a newly industrialized country. The Indonesian economy is the world’s 16th largest by nominal GDP and the 8th largest by GDP at PPP.
Indonesia’s Republican form of government includes an elected legislature and president. Indonesia has 34 provinces, of which five have Special Administrative status. The nation’s capital city is Jakarta. The country shares land borders with Papua New Guinea, East Timor, and Malaysia. Other neighboring countries include Singapore, the Philippines, Australia, Palau, and the Indian territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Indonesia is a founding member of ASEAN.
Economy name Republic of Indonesia Capital Jakarta Area 1,904,569 km2 Climate Two seasons Population 255,46 million Language Bahasa Indonesia Currency Indonesian Rupiah (IDR)
Economic Indicators(Unit: USD, 2014)
GDP $895.677 billion GDP per capita $3,511 Economic Growth Rate 4.67% Total Exports 175.290 million Total Imports 168.310 million Trade Balance 6.980 million
Export and Import Tendency
Indonesia’s main export markets are United States of America, Japan, China, Singapore and India. The country’s major export commodities are Palm oil, natural gas, textiles, electronics, and rubber.
Indonesia’s main import markets are China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, and South Korea. Major imports include Steel, basic chemistry, electronics, plastics, food and beverage.(Unit: Million USD, %)
Year Exports Rate of Change Import Rate of Change 2014 175.292 -3.73 168.310 -4,51 2013 182.551 -2.81 176.256 -1.35 2012 187.347 -1.97 178.667 13.60 2011 191.109 27,43 157.284 32.21 2010 149.966 – 118.963 – Top 5 Export Items Palm oil, Natural Gas, Textiles, Electronics, Rubber Top 5 Import Items Steel, Basic Chemistry, Electronics, Plastics, Food and Beverage Top 5 Export Partners United States of America, Japan, China, Singapore, India Top 5 Import Partners China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea
Duty and Customs Clearance
Indonesian Customs and Excises – http://beacukai.go.id/
Indonesia in FTA
Indonesia is a member of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) which nowadays has develop ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) policy in pursue of lowering intra-regional tariff between the members through Common Effective Preferential Tariff (CEPT) Scheme. The tariff requires the members to set the tariff between 0-5%.
Currently, Indonesia has not only developed free market policy between ASEAN country members but also develop the cooperation with other Countries such as:
- ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand, further information can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=aseanausnz or http://aanzfta.asean.org/
- ASEAN-China, further information can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=indonesiachina or http://www.asean-cn.org
- ASEAN-Korea, further information can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=aseankorea , http://www.akfta.net/ or http://www.aseankorea.org/
- ASEAN-India, further information can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=aseanindia
- Indonesia-Japan (IJ-EPA), further information can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=ijepa
- And other information of bilateral cooperation which can be accessed at http://ditjenkpi.kemendag.go.id/index.php?module=PKEKI
Related Government Agencies
- Indonesia Chamber of Commerce – http:// www.bsd-kadin.org
- Indonesian Logistic and Forwarder Association – http://alfi-ilfa.wix.com
- Association of Bonded Zone Employers – http://kawasan-berikat.org/
- The combined national importers throughout Indonesia – http://www.ginsi-imports.com/
- Indonesia National Ship-owner association – http://www.insa.or.id/
- Association of Logistic Indonesia – http://www.ali.web.id/
PAA – Indonesia Country DataSungheun Ha